Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thursday, February 28th 294/336 Shot #43

Today I went to the doctor for my 42 week appointment and I had to be there at 7:30. I was so stressed out about over sleeping that I woke up at 4:30 and couldn’t go back to sleep.

As a result, I got there at 7:00 but they didn’t take me until 8:00 which was fine because I was able to read the paper and do the crossword puzzle. My nurse Ann has filed for an end to her 27 year marriage and she says her husband is bi-polar, aren’t we all! I decided she needed a little cheering up so I mentioned that if I wasn’t crazy about the woman I was with I would ask her out. Was I forward? Yes, did she appreciate it, yes again. Sometimes, a random act of kindness goes a long way.

The study I’m in has 6 people in my Gp’s practice participating. 2 on standard of care(me and another man), so far we are both clear. The study drug is given to the other 4 people. 3 for 48 weeks and one for 28 weeks. 28 weeks relapsed already and 2 of the 48 weekers are SVR at 12 weeks post tx and the last one is coming up on their 12 week PCR. Too bad about the 28 weeker relapsing, I was hoping for shorter treatment times down the road. It seems the Vertex study drug does well with a 24 week duration.

All 4 people getting the study drug required the rescue drug procrit. My hemoglobin is 12.6 so they say I’m one of the few in the study to go the distance without the procrit.

I was going to cut back on the prozac but they said not until 6 weeks post tx. I took the depression test I take every visit. It scores 0 to 25 with 10 being mild depression. I scored a 9 so one more digit up and I would have been sent to med-psych again.

Every body comments on how nice it is to only have 6 weeks left. I’ll be happy when it’s 6 days left!

All is well and by for now

Spring has sprung in Carmichael

1 comment:

Me said...

It sounds like your visit went well. I guess I didn't realize you were in a study.

I read some interesting info about Procrit recently, I guess because I just started it myself.

I'm proud of you for nearing the end. You're doing an awesome job.