Thursday, May 10, 2007

Shot #1 1/336

Thursday

I woke up this morning and felt like a condemned man going to the gallows. My thoughts raced about whether I was doing the right thing at the tender age of 59. How bad will the next year be? What will become of the relationship I have with my girlfriend Magda? How much damage will the treatments do to my body? How much longer am I going to live and is it worth sacrificing a year to maybe get cured. All these thoughts and more.

I arrived at the hospital at 10:00 and they random computer selected me to be in ARM #1, the control group. This was my last choice as I won't receive the protease inhibitor as a result. I was angry and sad at the same time, but as time went by a snapped out of it. I don't have to take 3360 pills over they next 48 weeks, I won't be exposed to unknown side effects from the protease inhibitor drug, and my liver gets a break. If I fail to clear the virus, they will give me the protese inhibitor at 6 months. Lastly, I can always retreat with the new drugs in 2008.

Now for the good news. I took the shot 9 hours ago and I haven't gotten sick or had any side effects. Maybe this will be a little easier than I thought. Stay tuned

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're got the right attitude, Terry, and one I happen to concur with 100% (as your arm 1 treatment buddy)! I worried about all the same things but know in my heart we are doing the right thing by doing txt NOW.

And although you didn't get the arm you at first wanted, I just have a feeling that we're both gonna be in that 40%!!! hugs to ya!

Elizabeth Anne said...

I'm so glad your first day went well. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey honey, will follow this with interest. Thinking of you with love. Don't worry about the relationship-thing; everything always works out the way it's supposed to. Plus I'm inclined to believe that Magda is not the love em and leave em type.

Jonathan said...

I'm so encouraged to hear there were no side effects from the shot. This was my big worry. Hopefully you'll know if the interferon/ribavivrin is working in less than 6 months. I'm really happy to hear your energy levels are good. Keep it positive.

Unknown said...

Hi T,
Sorry to hear the computer didn't pick your first choice of treatment. I am glad to are taking such a possitive outlook. Magda will love you no matter what!
Love and hugs,
Ann

TeaStarWitch said...

Great news!!! Keep it this way. No side effects to your plate, please!