Thursday, November 20, 2008

November 20th, 2008

Machu Picchu was a very pleasant surprise. It was all that I expected and then some. It takes awhile to get there, 3 hour train ride and then 20 minutes by bus and then a 20 minute hike up the hill. When you get to the top you see a beautiful plateau framed by 4 very steep cliffs nestled in the clouds. The Incas abandoned it as they feared that the Spanish would come and kill them and they fled to the Amazon-the Spanish killed them anyway. By the time the Spanish discovered Muchu Picchu, it was over grown and they really didn´t notice it. Our guide mentioned that he thought that they probably would have built another cathederal there. Many of the Peruvians we have met have had it with the catholic church and they are moving toward regaining the Inca traditions. The Incas had no jails, if you were lazy, stole, murdered, lied etc, the women were pushed of a cliff and the men were casterated. I had nightmares because M says that I´m very lazy and I realized that I would suffer a fate worse than death if I were an Inca. M is having a very hard time with the food here as it´s all carne, queso and heuveos. We are having quite a time at the restaurants trying to get her point accross. This afternoon we´re on to Bolivia.

All is well and bye for now








2 comments:

My Other Blog said...

Que hermosa! Maybe I'll join the Peace Corps and go to Peru, what do you think?

Terry Lee said...

If you want to do the Peace Corps I´d do Bolivia.